Tuesday, March 29, 2022

1 Month Marker


  

Saturday the 24th marked 1 month I’ve been living in Australia.

As expected, the number of adjustments and changes I would encounter were many. I spent the first 2 weeks here in a hotel, well actually 2 different hotels. The first one couldn’t extend my stay, so I had to move. 

It didn’t really feel like I was settling into my new life because of the whole hotel stay and my home situation being unknown. In the midst of that, I was beginning to attend college, get used to walking everywhere, and plead with the Lord to miraculously adjust my body and hair to the tropical humidity. (Still waiting on that miracle by the way…😳)

Trying to rent and get settled into a new apartment took a little time and some efforts in organization with opening an Australian bank account, getting an Aussie phone number and getting my documents together for an application. I also had some work to do outfitting an apartment. Not having a car meant coordinating with college and new friends to give me a ride and help get items into my apartment. 



I had the privilege of spending a few hours with some very kind (and strong) 
young men who helped me. 
We even had an expert level Ikea assembler who is from Sweden and could tell us what the names of the products meant!👀




As faithful as the sun is to rise, so is God in providing and going before me. 

I have a lovely place to live that exceeds any need I have and is completely a gift from the Lord.


I’ve got a running list of things where I see God working and growing me. There are so many new experiences and rhythms of life to get used to, so much daily surrender. For instance, I have never lived alone, and I have never not had a car. There are benefits of getting a sabbatical from regular life, the rest from the usual busyness of home life. However, much like everything else that sounds like a dream, there’s a honeymoon period and then the new shininess wears off and you settle into reality. 

My schedule is fairly easy, I have Wednesday as my 1 big day of classes from 8:30am till 5:15pm, otherwise, just an hour or so on Tuesday morning and 3 hours on Thursday. 

My apartment is about an 8–10-minute walk from church and school, which are situated together separated by a parking lot. Being in school again after so many years was a challenge to my mindset, planning for homework time etc. I just needed a couple weeks of just doing it to gauge what my pace would be. 


One of the things God is working on in me is time management. Having been in a lifestyle where things were relaxed to now having a certain schedule every day, there were some adjustments that occurred regarding my morning routine. I may or may not have run for the first time in a decade in order to make it to class on time….😬

I have a wonderful group of ladies that adopted me right away. I may have looked a little new and lonely my first Sunday at church…but these ladies didn’t waste any time in becoming my friends. They’ve been great helping me shop for household items and getting them back to my apartment, sharing a meal, and just overall encouragement to me as I embarked on this new lifestyle. 

There are so many little things I take for granted at home in Michigan. Like the ease of getting groceries, getting bigger household items into the house, and going places when the weather is not ideal. Walking is good for my body and soul, and is how I planned to get around, as well as using public transit. I’ve been exhausted at bedtime after all the mental adjustments and physical changes this past month!

The good and praiseworthy report is that God is incredibly faithful and so generously kind. I have had so many conversations and experiences that are clearly from Him. Church is always a tender place for me. God has worked some major growth in myself and my family through this wonderful church and their music, so I am reminded of that whenever I enter the sanctuary. Regardless of how hard a day may be, I have full faith that He has called me here for this season. 

The personal growth and opportunities I am having to give encouragement to others based on redeeming work God has already done in me is clear proof. Ephesians 2:10 says “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them”, and I am seeing that worked out before me each day.

I have some ideas of why God has called me here, especially this time in my life. However, He surprises me constantly with hidden blessings He’s prepared for me in advance. It shouldn’t be a surprise anymore, after all I have seen Him do. It still causes me to feel overwhelmed with gratitude that God would see me and my little details and bless me in the most kind and tender ways to prove that He sees and is with me.


I wake up with daily expectation for seeing something great! This church’s focus for the lent season is 40 days of devotion. What I chose to do during that is to give up a bit of sleep early in the morning and to begin my day on my knees in surrender and worship. 

The song I use each morning is an old hymn called “Take my Life” that’s been redone by Chris Tomlin. You have no idea what that small action can do to change a person until you try it. The song goes through each part of a person; take my mind, take my lips, words, hands and feet, intellect and love. I pray through the song each morning, and this sets up my day. 

Each morning God is faithful to meet with me there.


One month has gone by fast, but slow at times too. I miss my husband, family, and pups so much that if I give any mind-space to dwell on that the tears are immediate, so close to the surface. 👉


God is tender and gracious to hold and carry me through that as well. I am very much learning how to rely on Him for my each and every thing.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your struggles, joys, pain, blessings, surrender, and willingness to follow Jesus no matter what.God will continue to bless you and use you every step of the way. You are a real encouragement. I am praying for you. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete